Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reading Assignment: Feeling It In Your Bones pp. 43-61


A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
Hinchman, Hannah (1997)

Reaction Outline:

-Exacerbation: A plethora of dappled words stream as I triumph-ally climb lichen covered stones toward Mt Hinchman.
-A list of smithy words can easily be mined off Hinchman's pages. Make a word list! I will help you later...
-I stumbled while diving into Hinchman's pages, however discussed I felt she lured me as a blackdevil angler in to her world of creativity. Fascinated I was spurred into her mind and ways. The juxtaposition of liking and disliking continue page after page. Her horse love for sinewy stallions romping the plans, over tested thoroughbreds on a track tipped my mind to creative though. Hinchman does journaling. Capturing your mind she wistfully titillates the synapses of the cortex as lighting bugs on a damp summer eve.
-Practice make production come with ease
-The vomiting of specifics annoys me. However I cherish a thesaurus, creating brighter specifics myself. So the grating finger nail on a chalkboard will never be gone as chalk is eclipsed itself.
-I need to find a good website for creative words.
-Hinchman's connection with living creature is evident. She like many great naturalist collect and study once living artifacts.
-Study animals: Beauty is the transformation of the simple. Such as movement, growth, day/night.
-"In the pages of the journal, this ability to grasp "wholenesses" can be cultivated, we can get better at reading the body language of the world." p. 54
-"The attentive journal keeper will try to find the meaning of bringing those undercurrent to the page, and will have to be inventive to do so." p. 55

Audio Link Reaction: Click Here

1 comment:

  1. I’m not a “journaler” so writing about nature has been difficult. I can make a list of what I’ve seen and heard but expressing feelings is tougher. It seems I get caught up in the observation and writing detracts from the experience. I DO enjoy drawing rather than writing. It allows me to create what I am sensing.

    More recently I have gone outside in the mornings for 30 -45 minutes and when I return I write an email to someone about what I saw or heard. I have been able to improve my writing and my friends enjoy the insight to a part of daily life they miss (sleeping in, going to work, or just not knowing what happens in your yard from 5:30 am till 6:15 every morning).

    You should suggest to your professor that the class meet in the mornings at least once. The “mourning chorus” is wonderful this time of year and is vibrating with excitement. The evening chorus is the final line of the daily refrain. It would good for the class to see the beginning movement one time so they grasp the compete song.

    Last but not least I think there should be a “class blog “ and
    everyone should be able to respond to others works and comments.

    Excellent start. I trust you will continue your expedition in journaling. Share it with a friend and especially with your students.
    CS

    ReplyDelete